After a long day at work, nothing beats the comfort of going home to finally sleep in your warm bed. What adds to the comfort of our bedroom is the feeling and smell of the warm, clean sheets.
We spend long hours of every day in our beds, leaving behind a lot of sweat and odor from our bodies. Thus, washing bed sheets is very important to ensure comfort and safety for you and your family. That’s why it is important to know how to wash bed sheets properly and how often you should do it.
How Often Should You Wash Your Bed Sheets?
In order to keep your bed sheets clean and free of dust mites and to keep harmful germs and bacteria from developing, make sure to wash the bed sheets once a week.
Here are six tips for washing bed sheets effectively.
1. Follow Instructions
This may be an obvious tip, but when washing your new sheets, always read the care label. This label gives you specific instructions on how to properly wash the linen based on the material it was made from. Always remember to check the care label and follow the instructions to avoid any mistakes and accidents while washing.
2. Be Familiar with Your Machine Settings
Not all machines are created the same way. Some have different functions and buttons, and some have a different setting for washing fabric linen. Understanding your washing machine’s settings can take you a long way in washing bed sheets.
If you don’t know what the laundry symbols on your machine mean, check the manual to understand it better or do some internet research to find out. Knowing how to properly wash your bed sheets in the machine will help prevent any damage and can retain the quality of your linen.
3. Avoid Overloading Your Machine
Although it’s already a given rule not to overload your machine, there are still some people who do it. Overloading can cause several issues, including:
- Since bed sheets take up a lot of space, there won’t be enough space to move around, causing any dirt on the fabric to keep returning to it
- Overloading can damage the machine itself and limit its working life.
4. Use a Gentle Detergent
Keeping the quality of your bed sheets can be a real challenge. The laundry detergent you use is one of the major factors in keeping your sheets with the same quality as when you bought them. Some detergents contain harsh ingredients that can be damaging to your bed sheets and cause their colors to fade. Choose a gentle detergent to keep the fabric safe and soft.
5. Consider the Fabric
Bed sheets are made with different types of fabrics. There are certain fabrics that need special attention during laundry. It is very important to be aware of all types of fabric and how to take care of them while washing the bed sheets.
Here is how you can take care of the different fabric types:
- Silk and Satin – choose a detergent specifically for delicate fabrics. Wash it under the gentle setting with cold water. Make sure that no harsh chemicals are used when washing this type of fabric. Avoid using the dryer because the heat may cause serious damage, so just hang the sheets on a clothesline until dry
- Cotton – wash your cotton sheets in a normal setting with warm water. You can use your favorite detergent, tumble dry on low heat, and then remove from the dryer.
- Linen – a bit similar to cotton sheets, linen sheets should be washed using a gentle detergent in cold water. Tumble dry on low heat and then remove from the dryer
- Bamboo – wash your bamboo sheets in cold water at all times. Use the gentle setting in your machine and wash it separately to avoid zippers and hooks causing any damage. You can avoid the dryer to preserve the color and elasticity of your bed sheet and just hang it on a clothesline.
6. Avoid Sheet Pilling
Sheet pilling is what we call the annoying balls that develop on our fabric after using and washing it several times. Although these may seem normal for sheets to develop, there are some ways to keep it from happening.
- Avoid using too much heat when washing and drying the sheets
- Limit the use of bleach and other harsh chemicals
- Do not over dry your sheets as this will weaken the fabric fibers
To avoid any further mistakes on your part, you can go to a bed sheet laundry service to take care of your sheets for you. Kelly’s Dry Cleaners offers a wide range of Durango laundry services which include washing of sheets and fine bedding, dry cleaning comforters, and many more. If you need professional help, don’t hesitate to contact us.